Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
Learn how DBT can help people manage their emotions and improve their mental health.
21 February 2024
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is a type of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) that uses mindfulness-based techniques to help people manage difficult emotions. In this introductory course, you will learn about the core concepts, theories and skills used in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy.
DBT was originally developed to treat borderline personality disorder and is now used for a range of problems including suicidal behaviour, self-harm, eating disorders, substance use and depression. DBT helps individuals deliver skills in emotion regulation, interpersonal effectiveness and distress tolerance so they can replace dysfunctional behaviour with healthier alternatives. The underlying model of DBT consists of four interconnected components:
- Individual Therapy: Core one-on-one sessions where clients work on reducing problematic behaviours and building life skills with their therapist.
- Group Skills Training: Skill-building groups covering mindfulness, emotional regulation, distress tolerance, and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Telephone Coaching: Real-time support between sessions for managing crises and applying skills.
- Consultation Team: Therapists consult with a team to ensure the most effective treatment and to manage their own reactions to challenging cases.
The course is designed for psychotherapists and mental health professionals, but it is equally accessible to all who seek to understand this evidence-based therapeutic approach. While it provides comprehensive theoretical knowledge and practical insights, it's important to note that the course does not confer qualification as a DBT practitioner. Instead, it equips you with a solid understanding of the principles and techniques, making it an invaluable resource for enhancing your knowledge in the field of mental health and psychotherapy.
In this course, you will learn:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), a unique therapeutic approach.
- Explore the origins, history, and development of DBT, and its specific focus on Borderline Personality Disorder.
- Learn about the theoretical underpinnings of DBT, including dialectics, the cognitive model, and the functions of therapy.
- Discover the core components of DBT, including individual psychotherapy, problem-solving techniques, validation, skills training, mindfulness, and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Explore essential skills in individual psychotherapy, such as diary cards, behaviour chain analysis, and solution analysis.
- Understand the problem-solving approach in DBT, incorporating both cognitive restructuring and behavioural techniques.
- Master the art of validation and its importance in the therapeutic process.
- Understand the function of consultation teams and their significance in DBT practice.
The course is thoughtfully designed, featuring video lectures, downloadable resources, quizzes, practical exercises, and a comprehensive course handbook. By the end of the course, you'll have a comprehensive grasp of the core concepts of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy.
Things to be aware of:
- Prior experience in cognitive behavioural therapy, mindfulness and counselling skills is helpful but not required.
- DBT is typically delivered in team environments.
- Due to the nature of the material, we will briefly touch on suicide, self-harm and abuse.
About Level 2
Level 2 is an introductory level qualification suitable for all. They typically do not require prior experience and will take 6-12 weeks to complete based on studying one module per week. See the course description for information specific to this course.
"The level of information/education offered in this course, is current, logical, practical, and has elements of tacit learning, and all of it is applicable in a face-to-face therapy session with a client. All the elements of current DBT methodology/theory are covered in this course and for any individual, whether practitioner or not, this course is invaluable." Luis del Valle
"I really liked that the information was broken down in short sections to make it easier to understand. Chris is not only very knowledgeable on this topic but knows how to explain it in words that anyone would be able to understand and apply. He made the complexity of DBT be clear to me know." Marina Del Valle
"Such a brilliant course learnt so much brilliant teacher." Tracy Wood
Meet your instructor
Chris is a psychologist and teacher. He holds an MSc in Psychology (Conversion) from Leeds Beckett University and is a Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society.
Chris is the author of multiple books including Do More, Worry Less. He ie the founder the of mental health charity Anxiety Leeds and is co-owner of the Leeds Anxiety Clinic.
What you will achieve
Completing the course will earn you a Level 2 Award in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy awarded by Holbeck College and accredited by the International Association of Therapists. You will receive a digital certificate.
Employers and other educational institutions will be able to validate your qualification using our online validation tool.
Here is an example certificate from our Level 1 Counselling Concepts course.
This course is available via our on-demand platform. You can learn at your own pace but you will have access to your tutor if you have any questions or need additional support. Have some questions before joining the course? Reach out via the contact us page.
Why study with us?
Access your training from anywhere.
Work at your own pace using our virtual learning environment.
Got a question? No problem, just contact your tutor.
Evidence-based courses approved by CPD bodies.
Download your certificate once you have completed the course.
Buy with confidence with our 30-day money-back guarantee.